Batheaston Medical Centre is a long established Bath Practice with a caring, Christian ethos. It was based first at Poplar House in 1950 and a new building was erected on the current site in 1966. Since then there have been two further surgery extensions, the most recent of which, in 1999, provided much needed space for the expanding Primary Health Care Team and diverse community services.
Information Technology plays an important role at the Practice and BMC has been a Beta test site for EMIS clinical systems as well as a Pilot site for numerous other IT projects: Choose & Book, Electronic Prescriptions, Electronic Pathology requesting inter alia.
We were sixth wave Fundholders and moved from the old GMS Contract to a PMS (Personal Medical Services) pilot contract in 2001. Since 2004, and the introduction of new PMS, we have permanent PMS status, along with 26 other Practices in Bath & North East Somerset PCT. All 27 Practices are now corporately involved in Practice-based Commissioning.
As an approved Training Practice we set great store on education and train both Registrars who spend a year at the Practice, as well as Hospital doctors (ST1, ST2 and F2) who have shorter placements with us. The wider team participates actively in many educational opportunities, including the monthly “Protected Learning Time afternoons when Practices in B&NES close surgeries for training purposes.
In April 2013 we achieved a perfect 100%. Oversight of the clinical domains is shared out among the Partners, with the Practice Manager taking responsibility for co-ordination and the Organizational domain.